Call for Applications - CITADEL Mentors
CITADEL seeks mentors for the following genres:
The ideal candidate will have a strong publishing history in their chosen genre, as well as a passion for teaching. In addition to helping writers with the craft element of their work, mentors will also offer career and publication guidance, so strong connections and an awareness of the current publishing market is key. High speed internet access and strong social media game are also important. Must be able to host an event in Toronto three times per year.
Over the course of the year, the successful candidate will:
• Work with writers one-on-one via email and phone on a writing project over the course of the year - minimum three meetings.
• Offer thorough commentary and suggestions on up to 40 double-spaced pages for each urban member who signs up to work with them (or 60 for distance members), as well as overall feedback on the trajectory of a book-length project if required. This feedback will be offered four times a year on an equal or lesser page count.
Offer a list of tailored reading recommendations for each mentee.
• Offer three in-person workshops per year — we’ll provide the space at CITADEL headquarters in Toronto’s Parkdale neighbourhood (alternate position available for those who are not able to do this)
• Be available to answer writers’ questions via email
Provide one blog post per year in the topic and format of your choice.
Diversity is important to us, amongst our mentors as well as our members. We very much encourage writers of all genders, sexual orientations, backgrounds and abilities — and all intersections thereof — to apply.
Mentors receive $600 in compensation for each urban member who signs up to work with them, and $800 for each distance member (due to increased page count for those members.). You are not committed to do workshops or blog posts until you have your first client.
DISTANCE AND ONLINE MENTORS
We are accepting applications for distance mentors who are unable to provide workshops in Toronto, but are available for phone calls and online editing. Compensation is adjusted to $450 per regular member and $700 per distance member.
HOW TO APPLY
Email firstname.lastname@example.org with your CV, as well as a cover letter that introduces yourself and answers the following questions:
• Which genre would you like to mentor in?
• What is your personal teaching philosophy? Please outline any training or experience you have in teaching writers one-on-one and in a workshop setting.
* CITADEL is committed to the values of equity, diversity and inclusion and encourages applications from members of groups that have been under-represented, marginalized or discriminated against. While we are actively seeking out diverse mentors.